A Travellerspoint blog

El Salvador & Spanish (W3): Saying Goodbye

My last week of Spanish School, my last weekend trip, saying goodbye to the family and one hellish bus journey from San Salvador to Panama

sunny 30 °C

The last week of Spanish School was shorter than usual, after we played truant to see El Mozote on Monday there were only 4 days of school left. I had a different teacher this week, Caroline, who is also the director of the school and she was an exceptionally good teacher. Our main learning topics were adjectives and how political change is like a tree. Adjectives really wasn't very interesting but the tree analogy though was fascinating... And at the end of the week they did a little surprise leaving ceremony for me, which was really cute.

As for extra curricular activities I had a little bit of a relax Tuesday and Wednesday, I went go to a lecture on gold mining and the effects on the El Salvadorian people on Thursday afternoon; horrible business really, polluting everything. And on Friday afternoon I went to the beach with my house mate Sam and two of his local friends. And I received the best compliment to my Spanish yet from one of Sam's friends;

Him: So are you studying Spanish at the School with Sam?
Me: Yes
Him: Why?
<noting that this conversation was in Spanish>

I also did one final weekend trip, but sadly this one was on my own as Christalynn was busy, but I went up to Suchitoot a very pretty little mountain town where I wandered around, bought some earrings, drank coffee, visited the local lake and went to a free guitar concert in the evening. A lovely relaxing weekend before the bus ride from hell!

IMG_0521.jpg IMG_0520.jpg
Views of the street (left) and from the street onto the lake (right)

IMG_0506.jpg IMG_0507.jpg IMG_0522.jpg
A cute little restaurant I stopped at on the way

On Sunday I came back to San Salvador early, I packed my bags, played with the kids, had one last yummy dinner with the family, hugged Sam goodbye at the house and then got into the car with Mum, Dad and two kids in toe to drive me to the hotel. We then spent 10 minutes taking photo's together on the hotel steps, and saying a sad goodbye to two very large eyed, cute-looking children.

Monday and Tuesday were pretty horrific, Monday I got up at 2AM and was on the bus at 3AM. It was an 18 hour journey crossing 3 boarders, and driving through 4 countries and I arrived in Costa Rica at 10PM wide-awake after a day of sleeping on the bus. I didn't sleep until 4AM (not from lack of trying) and then I was up again at 8AM, packing, getting breakfast and heading down to the bus station for my 15 hour bus to Panama. This one was made slightly less bearable by my sore backside (already tender after the previous 18 hours), and by my continuing inability to sleep through it, but it was made more bearable by the company of my friend Derek, who decided to travel with me. My last day in Panama was also good fun, hanging out with a good friend, but it was all too quickly time to get that 5AM taxi to the airport, again after very little sleep I was quite happily drooling on the chair in the airport lounge for the 2 hrs before my flight.

And now here I am; back in the UK, and just like that the year is over. I have have had an amazing 11 months, but it was time come home. I have missed my family and friends; and I can't wait to see you guys. Let's catch up soon. xxx

Posted by marajade1_200 16:37 Archived in El Salvador

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint